Supreme Court Reflection
Watching this video gave me a closer look at the inner workings of the United States Supreme Court, a place often described as the most powerful judicial body on Earth. What struck me most, however, was not just its power, but the idea that its influence ultimately rests on public faith and trust.
The Court is made up of nine justices who are responsible for interpreting a Constitution that is more than 200 years old. Even though the document was written centuries ago, its meaning continues to shape decisions that affect the country today. One quote from the video stood out to me: “We must never forget it is a Constitution we are expounding.” That statement seemed to capture the responsibility of interpreting a document that remains central to American government.
The video also highlighted how exclusive the Supreme Court can be. Being admitted to practice before the Court was described as being “akin to being struck by lightning,” emphasizing just how rare and significant the opportunity is.
I was also interested in hearing about the culture inside the Court. One person explained that it takes a while to get used to being there and that the real work begins once you stop thinking about how remarkable the setting is. In other words, after the initial excitement fades, the focus shifts to the responsibilities at hand.
The video also touched on the phrase “We the People,” noting that those words were originally composed by only a small part of the population. That observation reminded me that the Constitution has a complex history and that its interpretation continues to evolve over time.
Another detail that caught my attention was the tradition of shaking every justice’s hand before proceedings begin. At first, it seemed like a simple gesture, but the explanation behind it was meaningful. The practice is intended to ensure that even when people strongly disagree, there is no lingering tension. Disagreements are expected, but respect remains essential.Overall, I came away with a deeper appreciation for the traditions, responsibilities, and influence of the Supreme Court. While its power is considerable, the institution also depends on public confidence and a commitment to respectful disagreement.
_____________________________________
AI DISCLOSURE: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the supreme court. In addition to the facts that I learned, I emphasized my own facts and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text while correcting grammar, spelling, punctation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape my text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions
_____________________________________
Watch now!
No comments:
Post a Comment