Friday, August 28, 2026

From Scrolling to Stories

From Scrolling to Stories

    The first platform I would recommend for accessing the news is the popular short-form video app, TikTok. Although it is not always the most reliable source, I would recommend it because it makes staying informed quick, easy, and engaging. TikTok is especially useful for keeping up with pop culture, as creators often share updates about the latest drama, scandals, and trends involving online celebrities and influencers. I also like that TikTok allows you to listen to someone explain a story instead of having to read multiple long articles to understand what happened. For someone who wants to stay updated without spending a lot of time searching for news, TikTok is an easy and entertaining platform to use.




        
    The second platform I recommend would be Apple News. Similarly to TikTok, it provides fast and valuable informative, causing you to constantly be in the loop, just through a notification on your phone. I especially love having Apple News because even when I'm just looking at my phone, I can swipe right to the search bar and in just a glance, I know exactly what the latest headlines are.
 I would also recommend Apple News because it makes it easy to find a variety of news stories all in one place, instead of having to visit several different websites or apps. In addition, I also like that it covers a wide range of topics, including current events, entertainment, sports, and lifestyle. For someone who wants a convenient way to stay informed about from something as big as what is happening in the world, to the latest sports game, Apple news is a great option. 


If you are looking to stay up to date with information pertaining to your school or community, Yik Yak is the place for you. I would recommend Yik Yak because it provides information straight from students to your phone, making it an easy way to stay connected to what is happening around you. From getting a recommendation for a professor to knowing what the nightly plans are, Yik Yak provides information that is directly relevant to students. Since people can post anonymously, users often share funny stories, opinions, events, and updates that I might not see on traditional news platforms. The anonymous part of the platform causes the information to vary in terms of how trustworthy it is. However, Yik Yak is still a useful platform for quickly finding out what is happening around your school and community



My favorite news platform, which I have been watching since I was a kid, is The Today Show. Not only does this news source deliver helpful, informative, and reliable information, but it does so in such a positive way. Implementing fun activities, bringing in speakers, and hosting concerts are examples of what The Today Show does daily to engage viewers and keep them tuning in every morning. I especially like that The Today Show covers both serious news and lighter stories, making it more interesting and enjoyable to watch. For someone who wants to stay updated on what is happening in the world while also keeping up with entertainment and pop culture, The Today Show is a great source.

A news platform I recently discovered in my Media Writing class is Snopes. I would recommend Snopes because it is a helpful source for checking whether information online is true or false. Snopes was recommended to us as one of the only completely unbiased news platforms that provides the details and evidence behind its claims instead of simply telling readers what to believe. It covers a variety of topics, including viral stories, rumors, and claims circulating on social media. Snopes allows readers to see the facts and make their own conclusions. 




                                                _____________________________________

AI DISCLOSURE: The post was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a 20-minute video about the history of the supreme court. In addition to the facts that I learned, I emphasized my own facts and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text while correcting grammar, spelling, punctation. I then asked Copilot to help me shape my text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources, as well as appropriate images and captions







No comments:

Post a Comment

Why It's OK to Be Negative

                                                                                                         The Eight Values of Free Expression...